16 August, 2008

Beer and Waffles!

Sorry It's been a while since I have written but as any of you who read this should know that I have very limited internet access. That will be the last time I apologize for that. I feel like I say that a lot in e-mails and such.....anyway...

I am currently chillin' in Brussels, Belgium. I have had the waffles and they are not all they are cracked up to be. My opinion may be biased, however, because i really like to have syrup on my breakfast foods and they don't do that here. Whatever. I haven't really done a whole here in brussels because there really isn't a whole lot to do because it isn't like rome where there is a ton of crazy touristy stuff to do. Moving on....

About a week and a half ago I was touring around Prague, so I will start there. Prague was overall the hardest city to navigate because the language barrier was so much more difficult that any other country. There was a completely different alphabet and no cognates what-so-ever. Aside from that it was a pretty cool place. There was a really cool astronomical clock and a really big bridge. Most of all i thought it was cool to get away from western europe for a little while and get a taste of what the other half of the continent was like. Mind you, it was only a taste. I've been told that Prague is the most westernized city in eastern europe.

Next we spent about 4 days in Berlin. This is the most we had stayed in one place on the entire trip. I really think that Berlin was my favorite city. I got to see all of the touristy stuff and I also got to just walk around and see things that were not so touristy. This is also the only city where we paid to go on a guided tour. It was really cool because for once we actually got know something about all the cool churches or the big fountains or whatever we were looking at. All the other times we just look at stuff and say, "Oooh that's pretty." Another opportunity i got was to go and see a famous concentration camp that was just outside of Berlin. Ironically enough it decided to rain the day we go a place that was full of tragedy. It was kind of depressing but I am glad I got to experience it. Another thing I discovered in Berlin was that I like dark beer. I can't stand normal light beer, but I really did like the dark beer. For any of you who know my relationship with beer this should come as a shock. My favorite part about Berlin however, was that not only did it have years and years of history in all of it's architecture, it also had a lot of modern and recent things. It was a just an overall really cool city.

Last, just a couple of days ago, my trip with the big group ended in Amsterdam. We only had a full day there due to some planning errors(that's why we were in Berlin for 4 days), but I think I had enough of it when we left. I am not going to try to explain Amsterdam to you other than it is a very interesting place that I think you should visit.

Now, sadly enough, the group has gone their separate ways and I am now in Brussels with Veronica and Bethany and I am really enjoying just relaxing after my long trip.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am glad that you have had this experience. I know that you start school in a few days. How far apart will you and Bethany be from each other? Will you get to spend more time with her than you do in the states? Dad is hooking up your computer in our room. Out of harms way. We should be set for skype soon. Can't wait. Where has the time gone. Melissa shared the pictures with us that Bethany put on her facebook. They were amazing. I would like to hear more about Amsterdam - haha - Kids go to school on Wednesday. Melissa is a Junior and Kyle a Fresh - can you believe it? Scarier thought he will be driving second semester - augh!!! As always we love you very much. XXOO

JP said...

So your trip sounds amazing. I hope that you keep having an amazing time. When do you start school there. We have started here and classes are going to be interesting. I hope the you will send me a phone number that I may call you at sometime. You see, since my dad travels so much, he stocks me up with international calling cards. Well, much love,
Jenny

Unknown said...

shit man.... you should've gone to Bruges
btw.. in case you haven't...
see In Bruges
it's like my new fav. comedy